Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Taste of Monterey - Wine Visitor Center

A group of us stopped in yesterday, as we had some time before our dinner reservation after visiting the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Between us, we tried both flights and shared, so I got to try 11 wines. I got the premium flight of 5 wines. Most of the wines were okay to pretty good, but nothing was impressive. I kind of hoped something would turn me on. Nope. My 4th wine was very structured and dense, but was a bit musty, with muted fruit. Corked. I was going to say something, but never got around to it because of the 5th wine:

'05 Antiqv2s Syrah Gary's Vineyard $60
Nose - moderate barnyard with some burnt rubber. Unpleasant.

First, they just tried to dismiss my comment saying that's just how the wine is, and walking away as if it wasn't a big deal. Then, when they saw we weren't drinking it and were still talking about it, I was able to explain exactly what it was. Then, they admitted they didn't like it. But it was consistently like that, and apparently some customers do like it, while many hate it.

Of all the customers in the shop, I didn't see any buying wine or give any indication they intended to. I expect underwhelming and over-priced wines. I expect the basic flight to be mediocre. But, this place is supposed to be a showcase for the region's wine. There should be something impressive to taste.

No comments: